Very few people, much less children, can relate to the disorder that 4 year-old Lanie Sherman was born with. [Like Ariana-Leilani,] Lanie suffers from a rare condition called “neutropenia,” a blood disorder that drastically decreases the number of white blood cells. Because of her disorder, Lanie is extremely susceptible to sickness since neutropenia deteriorates the body’s ability to fight off infections. Due to the treatment that Lanie requires, she and her mother, Becky Sherman, have become regulars at the Blair E. Batson Hospital for Children in Jackson.
During one of their routine visits in August 2012, Becky couldn’t help but notice that the hospital’s toy supply was depleting.
“Usually the hospital’s kind staff, distributes these brand new toys to their highly sick children that seek treatment there regularly. I felt like there was something Lanie and I could do, “said Becky. She took it upon herself to begin placing boxes, righfully painted “Lanie’s Sunshine Box” at stores and offices in the Pine Belt.
The outcome was astounding.
“Just last month, we delivered over four hundred toys to Blair E. Batson! It’s God truly at work when you see the children opening these shiny new toys,” said Becky.
Their project to help bring smiles to the faces of sick children is far from done. They plan to continue dropping off donations monthly from the Pine Belt to Blair E. Batson.
“I like helping kids like me smile,” said Lanie.
You can find “Lanie’s Sunshine Box” regularly set up at locations such as the Jones County Sheriff’s Department, Heritage Heights Baptist Church, and Ken Morgan Salon. Becky and Lanie welcome any vendors/community centers that would like to participate in the “Lanie’s Sunshine Box” project to call (601)425-3064.
Please sign Ariana-Leilani’s petition so she can get the treatments Lanie and others receive to stay alive:
- CNN Hero Betty Makoni Takes On the Cause of Getting Ariana-Leilani Life Saving Medicine and Evaluation (arianaleilani.wordpress.com)
- Ariana-Leilani’s Mother Speaks Out to Save Her Daughter (arianaleilani.wordpress.com)
- “Children Fall though cracks in Ward 3″, about Ariana-Leilani (B. Hollingsworth, Washington Examiner, March 2011)
- Case that Fell through the Cracks Rises Internationally, about Ariana-Leilani (D. Carlin, MA; Honolulu Examiner Article: January 2012
- Glendene Grant’s BlogTalkRadio show “Saving Ariana-Leilani-When All USA Protection Systems Fail”(arianaleilani.wordpress.com)
- Child Neglect: Can You Help Save Ariana-Leilani? (arianaleilani.wordpress.com)
- Showing Support for Those With Compromised Immune Systems (arianaleilani.wordpress.com)
- Absolute Neutrophil Count: An Overview of it All (arianaleilani.wordpress.com)
- Ella Jewell Foundation (arianaleilani.wordpress.com)