Laboratory errors may occur in the initial diagnosis of neutropenia, and as such significant neutropenia must be confirmed by repeating the CBC with differential & platelets in order to avoid an extensive evaluation due a laboratory error.
Once confirmed, neutropenia is defined as an absolute neutrophil count (ANC) <1500 cells/microL. The ANC is calculated using the following formula:
ANC = total white blood cell count (cells/microL) x (percent neutrophils + percent bands) ÷ 100
Normal values for the ANC vary by age, particularly during the first weeks after birth. See Reference number 1 by Segel et al or click here for a reference table of normal leukocyte counts by age.
In general, for patients older than 1 year of age, neutropenia is defined as:
- Mild – ANC 1,000 to 1,500/mcL
- Moderate – ANC 500 to 1,000/mcL
- Severe – ANC less than 500/mcL
In general, there is little or no heightened infectious risk if the ANC isgreater than 1,000/mcL.
There are various acquired and inherited etiologies that can account for fever and non-chemotherapy-induced neutropenia in children. In general, the acquired neutropenias are considered first because they are most common.
The most common underlying etiology for mild-to-moderate neutropenia is transient marrow suppression due to a variety of viral infections.
The table below is from Segel et al and it highlights the causes of aquired neutropenia in children:
Ariana-Leilani is being denied Severe Neutropenia (ANC<500) life-saving medicine “Neupogen”… Please sign her petition:
- Fever & Neutropenia in the Non-Chemotherapy Patient | Pediatrics …
- ADHD Medication Being Overprescribed
- Neurologists warn against prescribing ADHD drugs to kids as “study drugs” (cbsnews.com)
- Yale Doctor: Stop Prescribing Neuroenhancers To Healthy Kids (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- Doctors Warn Against ADHD Stimulant Medications In Healthy Children (latinospost.com)
- GCSF for Febrile Neutropenia during Cancer Therapy (arianaleilani.wordpress.com)
- Neurologists warn against prescribing ADHD drugs to kids as “study drugs” (arianaleilani.wordpress.com)
- Neutropenic Patients, Like Ariana-Leilani, Are Particularly Vulnerable to Flesh Eating Bacteria (arianaleilani.wordpress.com)
- Neutropenia. (alfieluxton.wordpress.com)