Bella Rodriguez-Torres died after a 6-year battle with rhabdomyosarcoma, a cancerous tumor of the muscles that are attached to bones. When she was first diagnosed stage IV cancer at 4 years old, doctors only gave Bella four months to live. She surprisingly recovered, and started to walk on her own two feet and the tumors soon disappeared. However, the cancer returned throughout her life, necessitating numerous rounds of chemotherapy, radiation and surgery. She still didn’t give up.
Supporters of Bella began to “Live Llke Bella,” a motto for pursuing everything that life has to offer.
“Live Like Bella means to eat something and enjoy it, savor it, go play with gusto, even the simple things. Do them and enjoy them. Learn something new, get out of your comfort zone and enjoy life,” Ralph explained.
LeBron James adopted the motto. He and his teammate Dwyane Wade wrote the slogan on their shoes before the Miami Heat’s game against the Indiana Pacers on Tuesday.
Live like Bella, please sign 10 year old Ariana-Leilani’s Petition to get needed medicine and medical care for her life-threatening Severe Chronic Neutropenia:
- ‘Bella’ dies of rare cancer (local10.com)
- 10-year-old who inspired “Live Like Bella” loses cancer battle (cbsnews.com)
- Miami’s miracle cancer fighter, 10, leaves legacy (latino.foxnews.com)
- S. Fla. Girl, Bella, Loses Battle With Cancer (miami.cbslocal.com)
- South Florida Girl Passes Away After 6-Year Battle With Cancer (nbcmiami.com)