Fifty years ago today, the civil rights movement convened hundreds of thousands on the mall in front of the Lincoln Memorial to raise awareness and push for equal rights for all Americans. Fifty years later, we stand today with laws that ban discrimination on the basis of the color of a person’s skin. However, that is not enough.
The United States still has not adopted any federal laws guaranteeing children their rights. The USA has still been the only holdout in ratifying the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
10 Year old African-American Ariana-Leilani is still being treated as property,right in the shadows of the Lincoln Memorial. Treated as subhuman, she is still being denied her right to life saving medicine and medical care.
The District of Columbia government stands idly by and does nothing to help her. It is ironic that the very persons speaking at today’s event, including Mayor Gray and President Obama, hold the keys to her proper treatment. They will speak of the fight that we must continue for civil rights. But, their actions speak louder than their words. Send them a message, to walk the walk, and don’t just talk the talk.
Sign the petition to help save Ariana-Leilani.
A word from Ariana-Leilani’s Mother, Dr. Ariel King on the Dr. Martin Luther King’s Speech:
For me, the speech is specifically about the recognition that all of us are human beings, that we all have human rights and all of our human rights are equal. It doesn’t matter where you live, how you live, who you love, who your family is, how much money you have, we all start out being human beings. And to me, Martin Luther King was quite poignant in the fact that he was able to give that speech and allow people to see what he was talking about, that he was actually referring to our future in seeing children walking hand in hand.
- Mayor Gray Speaks About Dr. King’s Fight for Rights, But What About Those of 10 Year Old Ariana-Leilani (ariana-leilani.org)
- If Martin is President Obama 35 Years Ago, Then Ariana-Leiliani is Michele 40 years ago. (ariana-leilani.org)
- What would you do if 10 year old Ariana-Leilani were your child? (ariana-leilani.org)
- Obama Speaks Out On Human Rights: It is Time to Defend Ariana-Leilani’s Rights, too. (ariana-leilani.org)
- After Five years, Washington DC Government Has Done Nothing to Help Ariana-Leilani (ariana-leilani.org)